Sunday, March 20, 2011

Organic Wines @ Vintage Estate Wine and Beer


What does "organic" mean in a wine? "a wine made without any added sulfites" Sulfites occur naturally in the wine making process. You very carefully analyze what does "organic" mean to you. I prefer to call them wines made from organic grapes, rather than organic wines. It can become frustrating to the consumer who goes into the wine store and is not educated in the process of what makes a wine organic.Most people say they are allergic to sulfites so want an organic wine which they think contains no sulfites. But the matter of the fact is they just contain less sulfites. Sulfites in wine help maintain it's freshness and have antioxidant & antibacterial properties. Consumption of sulfites is generally harmless unless you have asthma. Sulfites are a natural byproduct of the chemical reaction of the yeast breaking down in wine making. The idea behind organic wine growing is the non use of chemicals in the growing process of the vines which in turn is better for the planet & the consumer. Well, enough on this confusing subject and now on to our day spent at Vintage Estate Wine and Beer at Boardman, Ohio. This month for their event they not only had wines, but also beers for tasting. Organic.....I had not been to a taste since September due to health issues and bad weather. Upon entering the store I noticed there had been more changes made since my last visit. They have expanded even more. All for the good! Each time I do get to go back something is different. It is hard to believe that 6 or more years ago when I started going here for my wines I was a regular each week. There were time when it was more than once a week. The one thing I like the most about VE is that you can not only shop for your wine or beer but you can also have a glass on the patio. I can remember many times going there & enjoying time with friends & sitting outdoors & watching the sunset. It was the perfect way to end a trip to Boardman shopping.
The wines we tasted were 2 whites & 4 reds. My favorites were the Green Truck Petite Sirah & Bonterra Zinfandel. I love reds best and both of these were deep and dark with the hint of pepper which I like in a wine. Even though Bonterra wines are among my first organic wine I ever tried I liked the Green Truck Petite Sirah a whole lot better. They also served Green Truck Sauvignon Blanc, Bonterra Chardonnay, Emiliana Natura Merlot & Girasole Pinot Noir. Pinot Noir's are a bit milder tasting to me. But I must say, all the wines selected were pleasing to your palate and good choices for a taste. It is a fabulous way to be able to go out for a day with friends and have an enjoyable time and at the same time be able to try different labels of wines and not have to purchase a whole bottle and take home only to find it is not the wine for you. Along with the wines & beers to taste they had appetizers to enjoy. If you get a chance check out their website in the link provided in this blog or better yet.....drive on over to the VE and browse the selections...meet Sandy & Phil....enjoy a glass of your favorite wine or beer at the bar & order up a great flat bread & become friends with my favorite wine & beer store I have ever found!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment