Monday, November 29, 2010

Wine Chillers & Cooling Systems



Either of these luxury items I would love to have in my home. And I actually do not believe it would be a waste of my money. They come in much larger sizes, but for just myself these would be sufficient. Ideally I would love to have a climate controlled wine room with a small wooden table & 2 stools in the center where I could actually take friends to see the collection I chose and allow them to pick their drink of the evening and sit at the table for a bit and enjoy a taste before going upstairs to the kitchen or living room to enjoy the bottle of wine. Dreams....yes that is what life is made of! Maybe someday I will have that dream. I have learned from The Wine Bible that temperatures in wine vary for each type. So one of these units would surely pay off in itself.
The fastest way to chill wine is of course in a wine bucket. But many may forget to take the wine out after a few minutes and it would be way too chilled for its type. Red wines should only remain in the bucket for 5 minutes, fruity reds around 15 minutes and whiles for 15 to 25 minutes and of course champagne for a half an hour. This is why as attractive as an ice bucket can be & I would love to have a lead crystal one in my home, I think a wine chiller you can program with your type of wine and take out when ready would be the best investment. I like a dry, full bodied red and drink mine at the moment room temperature. I do not enjoy a chilled wine, red or white, although on a hot summer day a glass of chilled chardonay is awesome and refreshing and relaxing at the same time.
I have learned in The Wine Bible that wine doesn't care if it is stored in a $10,000 custom built cellar or in a damp basement or in a closet as long a 3 important facts remain true.....the environment is cool, the bottle is lying on its side or upside down (do not stand upright)and no direct sunlight. Temperatures matter because it will affect the chemical changes taking place as the wine matures. A wine stored at 75 degrees will mature 2x as fast as one stored at 57 degrees. If you store the bottle upright the cork will begin to dry out and shrink. If air gets in over time this will cause the taste of the wine to change.
So....finalization.....I would love to have a walk in, sit down wine room (so if anyone out there is wondering what to get me for Christmas!) but since this of course is a fantasy of mine a single bottle wine chiller would do the job. I will continue to keep my wines as I have, being a box of wine is doing me well for now. But for special occasions I will purchase my wines and keep on a shelf (on their sides) in my basement where the temperature there is much cooler all year round than the rest of my home. If anyone is doing their shopping online and want to check out wine chillers I have found you can do so HERE.
HAPPY CYBER MONDAY everyone!!!!!! Enjoy your shopping experience in the pleasant atmosphere of your home without any pushing and shoving...shopping in your PJ's can be the best!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment