Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Reserve 2007 Merlot by Yellow Tail

Last evening a friend and I uncorked a bottle of The Reserve Merlot my friend Janet gave me for Christmas. I had been saving this bottle to share with someone who would appreciate it. I had no idea what it would taste like but I did know Yellow Tail wines have been one of my favorite Australian wines for many years, right along side of Jacobs Creek wines from Australia. I am partial to Australian wines. I don't know why. Could it be because I love the accent Australians have? Could it be because I have a friend who lives in Australia? Could it be because I have only seen pictures of the place and they are breath taking and I dream of living there? Or could it just be that I love wine and they make a darn good wine over there? Maybe all of these reasons play a part. We had some brie and crackers with our wine and killed the entire bottle over a couple hours of laughing and enjoying ourselves in the luscious, velvety smoothness of the fruit of the vine from this bottle. The tannins were as smooth as silk on our palates. Merlots usually leave my mouth knowing a merlot has just entered. But not this one. If you were to price it according to smoothness then this bottle should be priced right along side Turley Vineyards wines. Hints of chocolate and mocha were noted and you could smell the oak. Not intense oakiness but a soft, gentle oak. The entire experience was pleasurable and I will soon be buying another bottle or two of The Reserve for my collection. Thanks Janet for a remarkable Christmas gift! I am so glad I shared this with a fellow wine lover who appreciates a fine red wine!
Ahhhhh.....the joy and pleasure you feel when sharing a great wine, drinking it from crystal stemware and snacking on great cheeses and kicking back with not a care in the world for the time being.....PRICELESS! Yes, I do love my wines!
Salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment