Sunday, January 2, 2011

Rex-Goliath Shiraz Wine came to dinner


Rex-Goliath.....this was the New Year's Day wine Gaynor brought to dinner. I have just this morning read the back of the bottle (as I was way to busy yesterday preparing dinner and analyzing what I was drinking.) In a moment I will share my findings with you. But on the back of the bottle I have just read the "Legend of Rex-Goliath". At the turn of the century, HRM (His Royal Majesty) Rex Goliath was a treasured circus attraction. He weighed in @ 47 lbs. Rex was billed as the worlds largest rooster.
HRM Rex-Goliath winery of Woodbridge, California have given a tribute to Rex with their wines. Just like Rex, their wines have a larger than life personality. They also have big fruit forward flavors which are sure to please. Their direct quote is " Peppery and plummy, our wine is a demonstration of why the world has gone ga-ga over Shiraz."
Well needless to say if you have been following my blog since the beginning of its birth you will know Shiraz from Australia is my fav. WELL.....Australia you have a run for your money here! I am learning more and more with each sip of wine I take that Americans do know quite a bit about wine making. The color was a rich, deep burgundy which actually matched the fluffy robe I was wearing. The aroma was rich with goodness of what my nose tells me Shiraz should be. Upon the swirl legs were slow to come but upon their entrance they were thin and even around the glass...this I knew would have it be nice and dry (as I like) in my mouth. I tasted oak, pepper and berries. The wine was soft in your mouth not harsh and bitey. Tannins were low. All in all the bottle went down very well before, during and after dinner. (Yes I shared it!) Our dinner was a pork loin marinated in black pepper. Served with sauerkraut which cooked 5 hours in the crock pot with half an apple to take away the bitterness and when the loin was put in the oven to roast I added the kraut to the side of the same pan and cooked along with the roast. Cheddar cheese mashed potatoes were the side dish and appetizers were just veggies & dips with pretzels & foccacia crackers. Yummy, yummy....yummy! We ate, drank, ate & drank.....I have 2 slices and some kraut left for today and actually can't wait till dinner time so maybe it will be my lunch. However I do not have any of Rex left to enjoy...but I will in the future be purchasing a couple bottles for my wine collection. REX-GOLIATH
go to the link I have provided and see for yourself just how amazingly priced this wine is! It just goes to show that although an expensive wine might be quite tasteful and pleasurable you can get the same quality or perhaps even better in this bottle. Looks and pricey, classy is not always what it is cut out to be....remember this men (and women) when not only picking your wines but when picking your mate or partner or even a date. Just because a lady (or man) might like fancy, impressive items and have you shower her (him) with them...take a brief moment to actually look around you and see if perhaps someone just a bit simpler (or should I say...does not require all the frills in life....who knows how to have plain old fashioned fun and be happy with that), go for the entire package....not just for an attraction but for the one who not only satisfies your likings but also your wallet. With the money you save on expensive wines .....who knows...you might be able to take and extra vacation or 2 ! (sorry...I just went on rambling a bit....that's the writer in me....just sometimes can't stop these fingers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment