Monday, November 22, 2010

Which wine is a Turkey Day Wine?


Which wine do you choose to serve with your Thanksgiving dinner? There are so many different opinions on this topic who is to say what is proper.
RIESLING, GEWURTZRAMINER, CHARDONNAY, SAUVIGNON BLANC, ZINFANDEL, SYRAH, MERLOT, CABERNAT SAUVIGNON, PINOT NOIR, SANGIOVESE are just a few of the different varieties of wine we have to choose from. So many we could drive ourselves silly trying to pick the correct one. If having company for dinner we want it to be perfect and would not want to have the wine not be pleasing to your taste or your guest. So what then is the correct wine to pick? So when I am thinking on this it comes to my mind...."what do I choose when not knowing what to wear to an important event?" (wedding, class reunion, Christmas formal dinner, etc) Well I go deep into my closet and pull out that simple little black dress and red high heel shoes. I put this on and feel like a million bucks!
Why? Because I am so comfortable in this attire. I know that this outfit of mine will fit in at most every occassion. And I feel good while wearing it. So my suggestion to you is this....chances are those who are coming to your home for dinner you already know their likes on wines so I would suggest you have a small variety on hand and available to be opened. Allow your guest to choose which wine they would like with their meal. I think if someone is drinking a wine they prefer, instead of one that society tells us is proper, their meal experience will be much more pleasing to them. Wines bring out the flavors in foods, we all have different taste going on with out palates. With the typical Thanksgiving meal there are so many different varieties of foods made available that I just could not imagine drinking a wine I did not enjoy just because it tells you somewhere that it should be......In my home my "little black dress & red shoes" wine is Shiraz.....I just couldn't imagine my meal without it! Thanksgiving food is comfort food so let your wine choice be comforting also......there are no wrong choices , regardless of what the critics may tell you...but then again, I am just a woman from western Pennsylvania who loves the simple pleasures in life. There are enough struggles that come at us each day that we need not trouble ourselves with right or wrong wine. Simplicity...to me that is the answer!
Blessings to all this glorious week of Thanksgiving.....let us remember that each day we can find something or someone to be thankful for in our lives, and perhaps make a difference if we tell them.

No comments:

Post a Comment