Monday, November 8, 2010

Cooking with wine.....



It used to be 37 years ago when I was first married that I would want to cook with wine. So off to the supermarket I would go looking for cooking wine. I was naive enough to think that you wouldn't dare add the real thing to your dish. Then one day about 14 years ago while cooking some pasta and shrimp for my dinner and drinking a glass of Cabernet I thought "I'll just add a splash of this".....To think I had never ever thought to try "real" wine in cooking prior! That moment was the beginning of a new journey for me when in the kitchen. I wanted to add a splash to everything. One of my best findings was on the day I was drinking White Zin. I had some left a few days after opening the bottle....It was not pleasing to drink anymore but so not to waste it I added it to some extra virgin olive oil, a bit of balsamic vinegar, put some herbs for added flavor and viola! Zinfindel dressing which has become one of my favorites to use on greens and pasta. So don't dump out that bit of wine or the wine that is just not pleasing to you....save it on your counter and use it in your cooking. My son has taught me to use leftover red wine to dye unfinished wooden picture frames. Now I do this quite often. (That's a tip for crafters) Today I leave you with the thought to be creative in your cooking. Just do not over do it. You really don't need as much as you think...more is not better all the time. One of my best findings is wine added to burgers! I think a bit of wine pulls out the natural flavors a bit more....and if you have a favorite recipe that you add wine to and would like to share it, please do so in the comment box.

Ricotta Pasta & Spinach
1 box pasta
1 C ricotta cheese
1/3 C romano cheese
2 T butter
1 package FRESH spinach...cleaned and stems removed
white or red wine to taste (I like to use between 1/4-1/2 C)

Cook pasta, drain (save 1/2 C cooking water for sauce) rinse
Toss with butter
Combine reserved water with ricotta in mixing bowl
Add your wine
Stir till blended
Mix in the Romano
Toss in fresh spinach...it will wilt

Serve with alone or with a side of chicken or shrimp. Or even chop up and place in your pasta. Make a nice field greens salad
Pour your self a glass of wine & enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment