Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Wide Variety to Choose From....


Different grape varieties are plentiful! I have always loved fruits, but since beginning this study in wine I find myself actually admiring each grape singularly. I had never noticed the depths of color or shadings of the colors in all my 58 years on this earth. I just would plop the luscious fruits in my mouth and enjoy. But now I find myself analyzing the structure of the grapes and thinking. (Of course when I point this out to some of my friends, I know they are thinking I have gone off the deep end!) My friends just look at me and smile. That is of course not the case of the friends who share this common interest of mine to learn about the fruit from the vine to the glass. I have decided to do a bit each day on each different type of grape in the wine making. I have learned there are some 24,000 varieties of wine grapes which Ampelographers believe these represent about 5,000 truly different varieties. Most varieties I have learned have numerous names depending upon the area they are grown. Of the 5,000 varieties only 150 are planted commercially and of the 150 varieties there are only 9 varieties considered classics.
WHITE GRAPES:

  • CHARDONNAY
  • CHENIN BLANC
  • RIESLING
  • SAUVIGNON BLANC
  • SEMILLION
RED GRAPES:
  • CABERNAT SAUVIGNON
  • MERLOT
  • PINOT NOIR
  • SYRAH
Tomorrow or later today I will begin the study starting with the whites....In the mean time I will go have a nice bowl of red grapes with my granola this morning.
Chow!

No comments:

Post a Comment